Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Down to Business : Tyra Banks Covers November Issue of ARISE Magazine


Top supermodel and TV star, Tyra Banks covers the November issue of ARISE magazine looking stunningly fierce and sexy. I like the whole androgynous styling .. seals the entire look.
In an exclusive interview with Arise online, the queen bee of America's Next Top Model worked her stuff in front of the lens, before sitting down for a chat about her awkward teenage years, making it as a black model ("I was constantly being told ‘No no no, you can’t have this job, you can’t have that cover, you’re not going to make as much money as the white girl next to you") and her confidence-building after-school programme.
Read interview after the cut...





What are most people surprised about you?That I don't have the personality I have on America’s Next Top Model [AMTM]. I don't say 'Your pictures are not fierce, you're not smizing and hello nice to meet you'. It's a character that I created, but it's not really me. I'm more like I am on my talk show, that's not me trying to be a thing. On Top Model it's a character… it just so happens the character’s named Tyra Banks, but she's not me.
It's easy to get into character now, so I don't have to think about it. I don't do it as much as I used to – I have a lot more me now. [But on AMTM] you sit behind a desk and she just appears.

Happiest moments?
Driving my car on the weekends... far. Washing my make-up off at the end of the day... it just feels damn good, it's really me when I look at the mirror. I'm like 'That’s who she is, they don't know her'. [And] making young girls feel good, having a young girl coming up to me and me complimenting her on something physically and see her face light up, that just makes me happy.

Guilty pleasure?Popping pimples!

Favourite time of day?
I'm an early riser, I'm up by 7am. I used to have this one best friend in LA years ago that I'd wake up and call. I’d look at the clock and I'd call at 8am. She'd pick up the phone and she knew it was me and she was like ‘Hell, no!’ And that's me waiting since 6.57am and I'm thinking ‘Ooh, is she going to be up at eight?’ 8am is a good hour. I call NY to LA for my mum and she always says 'I'm just resting my eyes', she's dead sweet, she's always there for me.

Favourite word?
Smize. It was an accident so that's why I like it. I created this word because for years on Top Model I'd say smile with your eyes, smile with your eyes. I’m always watching myself, because I watch it [the show] more than the average person as I’m in the editing bay, and I'd be like ‘This is so long’ and one day I was like ‘smize!’
What gives me satisfaction is I've been in a restaurant totally incognito in the corner and there's a group of girls who don't know I'm there and they’re like 'Let’s take a group picture... smize!' And I'm like 'Oh my gosh'. I'm proud of that word.
Second favourite word?
[Waggles fingers] Fierce!

Least favourite word?
Plus-size. I find that it doesn't sound positive so I like 'fiercely real' because it's not plus-size, it's the average body. To say plus-size it's like 'plus what?' Plus-size for a fashion skinny model? I like fiercely real and that's what I say on Top Model and what I say in life to my mum and friends.

Earliest fashion memory?
Me sitting on the edge of the bath tub while my mother beats her face [i.e. puts on a tonne of make-up]. That's where I learnt to be a drag queen – from my mother. She likes a lot of make-up and I like a lot.

Life philosophy?Have tunnel vision but do not forget your personal life. I'm all about teaching people to go for your goals, work extra hard, tunnel vision, tunnel vision. Now I say have tunnel vision but don't forget your personal life. Now I talk to them about not forgetting your friends; yes you have to sacrifice but don't forget your family, don’t forget if you want to have children. I waited too late for all of that. So I feel it's important to have the balance, and I'm learning that now.

What advice would you give to a stranger who doubted themselves?I'd tell them to do something my mum says: look to the other side, and that this moment of self-doubt and not feeling good about yourself is fleeting and it’s not gonna last.





Words Annabel McLeod Photography Seiji Fujimori   Styling Ty-ron Mayes/Sabrina Henry   Model Tyra Banks  



Photos theybf.com , ariselive.com

No comments: